HMS Dublin

Vessel Name on Arrival: 
HMS Dublin
Vessel Type: 
Cruiser
GRT: 
5,400
Year Built: 
1913
Arrival Date: 
01/09/1927
Original Builder: 
William Beardmore & Company, Dalmuir, Scotland
Original Yard No.: 
503
Other Information: 

'Town' - Class Light Cruiser HMS DUBLIN of 1913
 
04-04-1911  :  Laid Down
30-04-1912  :  Launched
May   1913  :  Completed
 
Dimensions  :  193.8 mts  x  15.2 mts  x  2.8 mts
 
Tonnage  :  5,400 tons
 
Complement  :  From 429 to 475
 
Propulsion  :  Parsons Steam Turbines driving quadruple screwshafts
Boilers  :  Yarrow
Power  :  25,000 hp
Speed  :  25.5 knots
Range  :  4,500 nautical miles at a mean speed of 16 knots
 
Armaments
8 x 6 inch Mk. XI Deck Guns
1 x 3 inch A.A. Gun
4 x 3-pounder guns
4 x Machine Guns
2 x 21 inch Torpedo Tubes
 
Initially assigned to the 1st Battle Squadron in 1913, then later that year to the 1st Ligh Cruiser Squadron for operations in the Mediterranean areas.  She was than re-assigned to the 2nd Light Cruiser Squadron from September 1913 until the end of 1914.
 
In February 1915, HMS Dublin was assigned to the Dardenelles and subsequently assisted HMS Implacable's assault on Gallipoli on 29-04-1915 at X-Beach.  She was then sent to Brindisi in May 1915.  On 09--06-1915 she was damaged by a torpedo strike from the Austrian submarine U-IV, but was able to get under way and at 17 knots made her way back to Brindisi.  Out of action for several months and had to return to the UK for a refit.
 
From 1916 through 1919, HMS Dublin served in Home Waters with the 2nd Light Cruiser Squadron as part of the Home Grand Fleet.  Participating in the 1916 Battle of Jutland, she suffered damage and casulaties when struck by 5 x 5 inch and 8 x 4.1 inch shells.  Subsequent repairs were not completed until 17-06-1916.  Continued operations in the North Sea in 1917, patrolling the East coast.
 
After the end of WWI, HMS Dublin was commissioned into the 6th Squadron, at the Africa Station, from January 1920 until 1924, with a short spell in April with the 3rd Squadron in the Mediterranean.
 
HMS Dublin was sent to Reserve at Nore in 1924.  Vessel sold on 30-07-1926 for disposal and demolition. On her passage to the Breaker's facilities in Troon, South Ayrshire, HMS Dublin ran aground and it was not until JJuly 1927 that she was refloated and continued her passage to Troon, where breaking started later that year.
 

style="display:block"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-9933079004460812"
data-ad-slot="3593922096"
data-ad-format="autorelaxed">

ClydeMaritime is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer