HMS Pevensey Castle

Vessel Name on Arrival: 
Admiral Beaufort
Vessel Type: 
Weather Ship
GRT: 
1,405
Year Built: 
1944
Arrival Date: 
01/01/1982
Original Builder: 
Harland & Wolff, Belfast
Original Yard No.: 
1239
Name Changes: 

1944  :  Launched as Castle-Class Corvette HMS PEVENSEY CASTLE         Pennant No. K449         (1,010 tons)

1959  :  Converted to Weather Ship role

1960  :  Renamed WEATHER MONITOR

1977  :  Renamed ADMIRAL BEAUFORT

Other Information: 

21-06-1943  :  Keel Laid Down

11-01-1944  :  Launched

10-06-1944  :  Completed

11-11-1944  :  Along with three other British warships, in a location 75  miles SSE of Fastnet, South of Ireland, depth-charged and sank the German submarine U-1200, a new boat out on her first, and last, war patrol.  No survivors.

February 1946 :  Decommissioned and reduced to Reserve

1947-1952  :  In reserve at Portsmouth.  (Complete refit undertaken at Hull in 1949)

1952  :  In reserve at Chatham

1954  :  In reserve at West Hartlepool

1954-1955  :  Dehumidified and preserved at South Shields

1957  :  Set aside for transfer to Air Ministry

1960  :  Converted to role of Weather Ship by Blyth S.B. & D.D. Coy of Northumberland and renamed

 

 

( Image shown as HMS Pevensey Castle)

 

style="display:block"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-9933079004460812"
data-ad-slot="3593922096"
data-ad-format="autorelaxed">

ClydeMaritime is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer